Monday, March 2, 2009

2010-Creativity-Singing

Again, singing is one of those things that I did when I was younger, and them got out of it. I used to be in my church choir ( I actually did that for 5 years) and I took lessons for various people when I was younger. I think I stopped at about grade 8, maybe? Some thing like that. Anyway, again, it was properly getting into doing musicals again that made me want to actually start taking lessons again--that and spending too much time listening to The Hush Sound, but that's another story.

My little Brother (who is 13, and still a boy soprano) was taking lessons from a classical teacher a little ways away from us. At first, I was somewhat less than impressed by the work that they were doing--I'm not a fan of taking things slowly, and they spent months doing scales. I like preforming--I adore preforming, and that has been why I spend a lot my time working away with other people in badly ventilated rooms on plays, just so I can get the thrill of being on stage.

ANYWAYS, I eventually relented, and decided that I was going try it. I spent the the first two or three lessons on breathing, and haven't actually started any songs (It''s march 2, I started in January), I'm still doing scales and exercises. But the weird thing? I love it. Maybe it's that I'm older now than I was when my brother started taking (I've learned tons about the value of hard work in the last year, I have to say), but I think maybe it's that I didn't realize what I could do, and wasn't doing. My teacher is in his 70s, and seriously basically know every thing ever about the voice--at least that how it seems to me.

It's funny, because if you'd told me even 6 months ago that I'd ever, ever spend an hour singing "e-e-e-e" over and over again, at various pitches and sometimes with "eh"s and "ahh"s thrown in, I would have laughed at your face. Honestly, I would have thought you were insane. There was no way I would ever have wanted to do that. There was defiantly no way I would ever enjoy it.
But here I am, and I do enjoy it. Except for the part were I'm not actually practicing as much as I'd like to, because I'm just so busy, but I'm doing the best I can, I suppose. I really enjoy it, and love the fact that already, I can sing along to music playing on the radio, and it actually feels better--it's amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment